Paradigm Roofing

Whats Up?

Asphalt Shingles -- What's Up with that?

Why are asphalt shingles costing twice as much and lasting half as long as they did a few years ago?

It has to to with the efficiency of refining petroleum. It used to be that 65% of a barrel of oil could be turned into gasoline, leaving around 35% for things like diesel, kerosine, asphalt etc. That has changed. Now, 90-95% of that barrel of oil becomes galoline. leaving 5-10% for all the rest.

Scarcity is what has driven the prices up.

As you get closer to the bottom of the barrel, the quality of the crude that you making other things from decreases. That is why shingles are now going bad after 12 to 20 years.

What are shingle manufacturers doing about it? They are playing the warranty game, writing 30, 40, 50 year and lifetime warranties. How can they do that and survive?

On average, Americans stay in a home much less than fifteen years. A large percentage of those who do stay will not remember who made the shingles after that long, nor have any documentation.

There are always plenty of exclusions written into the warranties. Here's one real-life example: The manufacturer told the owners "We checked with the national weather service, and there were more than three days when the wind exceeded 55 mph since the shingles were applied. Sorry, your warranty is null and void."

Good petroleum is not the only thing in short supply these days.

Paradigm Roofing, IB Roof Systems and SteelROCK are determined to achieve success a different way -- by giving best to make every customer perfectly happy.

 
These These are considered by most to be the top of the line lifetime asphalt shingle.

These These are considered by most to be the top of the line lifetime asphalt shingle.

The problem is they haven't been making them for more than a dozen or so years.

The problem is they haven't been making them for more than a dozen or so years.